The 5th most influential label globally, Al-Jazeera

“What we try to do is give a voice to the south [Arab, developing, marginalized], said Al-Jazeera program editor, Richard Lewis, “[We] give a representation to the group of people who have so long been without a representative, without a voice.” 

After driving around in a maze of security and buildings for 20 minutes, we finally arrive

Aimed at After driving around in a maze of security and buildings for 20 minutes, we finally arrive

Though born in 1996 from money form Qatar’s government Al-Jazeera is completely independent.

Here is Al-Jazeera’s code of ethics. It’s written into the stone directly when entering the building. 

Though intended to be self-sustaining within five years, Al-Jazeera continues to be 90 percent funded by Qatar’s Emir. The other 10 percent comes from advertising, mostly generated through the eight sports channels the network boasts.

Lewis and the others we met were quick to point out this set-up renders Al-Jazeera free from financial pressures of other networks. “We don’t have that commercial thing dragging us down,” his colleague said. 

Nothing, it would seem is slowing Al-Jazeera. After thirteen years the single station has expanded to a network watched by 150 million households in 105 countries worldwide. In 2006 Al-Jazeera launched the English language channel.

Until recently, political reasons, have thwarted Al-Jazeera’s growth in the United States.

Initially lauded as much needed free Arab media, after September 11th we were bottled up with the rest of the region, Lewis explained. 

While United States channels were forbidden to even show coffins, Al-Jazeera showed missiles effect on the ground as well as their sail threw the air. 

Lewis said since 2005 relations have improved. “The administration understood their point of view wasn’t being represented in the Arab world.” 

Beginning July 1st, Al-Jazeera will be broadcast 24/7 in Washington DC and two other cities. 

 

View of the studio--the show was in progress and they shooed us from the balcony above

View of the studio--the show was in progress and they shooed us from the balcony above

 

 

Until then, you can watch a live-stream any time. 

Included in our tour was the chair of a a reporter detained at Guantanamo Bay. 

 

The Freedom Wall-- a memorial in honor of reporters who have been killed doing their work

The Freedom Wall-- a memorial in honor of reporters who have been killed doing their work

Advertisements

One thought on “The 5th most influential label globally, Al-Jazeera

  1. Once again such incredible pictures…..Thank you for sharing your wonderful journey. I’ve loved every blog, every picture and every article! It’s been a privilege to travel along and see life through your eyes. This seems like such a special group and I’m sure you”ll each have a very bright and successful future. Take care Lily.

    Sandy

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s